Hey, gang. Another week has come and gone. "Thanks!" to everyone who visited my Beartoons page last week. I really need to get back to my inking. "Use it - or loose it" comes to mind. Trouble is that 90% of my time goes to making ends meet, leaving me with a puny 10% to devote to my real talents. The worst part of having a day job is knowing that all the blood and sweat you're wasting on it could be used elsewhere to create something great. I always end up feeling guilty or embarrassed for not finding the time to do more. Wouldn't that be cool - to be able to pull a few extra hours a day out of my ass. Eh...tempus fuck it!
Anyway, this week I'm giving everyone a taste of chocolate. I don't know what's the current socially accepted term: "black" to me sounds like it implies that one's skin is actually the color black; "African-American" implies that one lives in America, but was born in Africa; "Nubian" implies that one is from the Sudan or southern Egypt; I believe that "brother" or "brotha" are reserved for use between members within the particular community; just the thought of saying or writing the "n" word makes my skin crawl - that too is reserved for use by members of the community. I like "chocolate". It doesn't imply color, history, geography or social relationship. It's dark and delicious. Simple as that.
And with that said, I was doing some practice sketches this week and decided to have Robert ink one of the better ones. Unfortunately, he couldn't find the brush pen he likes using, so he ended up making due with a finer point. He still did a good job.